Come join us for an LCR-DC autumn hike at Shenandoah National Park and dinner afterwards at Graves Mountain Lodge!
The contact for this event is Greg Culbertson at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHEN AND WHERE TO MEET:
- Saturday, October 13th, 2018 at 9:00 AM
- Meet at the “Vienna/Fairfax-GMU Metro” Station “South Parking Lot” immediately off of I-66 in Vienna, Virginia
- From there we will car pool to the OUTSIDE of Shenandoah National Park (SNP), and park in the “Whiteoak Boundary Parking Lot”
SNP ENTRANCE FEE: $15 per person “cash only”, paying individually when entering on foot
- Do you have a car and can drive? how many extra seats?
- Do you need a ride?
- Please RSVP to Greg Culbertson at email@example.com
PLACE OF HIKE: “Whiteoak Canyon Trail” at SNP. One of the most popular and scenic hiking trails that SNP offers that parallels a stream and waterfalls. October is usually exceptionally brilliant with the leaves changing colors. By starting our hike at the bottom of the “Boundary Trailhead” just OUTSIDE of the park at the “Whiteoak Boundary Parking Lot”, we enter the park by foot, and hiking vertically upwards toward Skyline Drive within the park (MAP)
DURATION OF HIKE: Being a “round-trip” hike, there is flexibility as to how long of a hike it can be. To hike from the trail-head from the “Whiteoak Boundary Parking Lot” up to the mid-point where the “Upper Waterfalls” intersects with the “Canyon Fire Trail”, is an approximate 6 miles round-trip hike/of approximate 4.5 hours duration, not factoring in a lunch hour. (See “Map Inset 2” in above map link.) This is considered a “moderate” hike. Allowing time for lunch and relaxation overlooking the waterfalls, the entire hike would be “approximately” 5.5 hours.
POST-HIKE DINNER AT “GRAVES MOUNTAIN LODGE” AT 6:30 PM:
We need to return to the parking lot by 5:30 PM in order to allow enough time for those of us that will be doing dinner nearby about 5 miles away at Graves Mountain Lodge (GML)
A hearty afternoon of hiking will make for a great appetite and relaxing dinner afterwards! For those that want to do dinner after the hike, we will be dining at “Graves Mountain Lodge” (GML) about 5 miles away at http://www.gravesmountain.com/dining/
This is a rustic setting with GML known for “home cooking” and a popular destination for visitors and local alike to the Shenandoah area. Saturday dinner at GML is an all-you-can-eat buffet, consisting of rib-eye steak, 3 hot sides (which includes a baked potato bar), 3 cold sides (which includes salad), dessert, soda, tea, or, coffee. (If we arrive early, we can relax in the lounge and order beer or wine.)
COST OF DINNER: The cost for the all-you-can-eat buffet with tax and gratuity included is $40 per person with advance payment for dinner required via LCR-DC. (Beer and wine are additional, which you can pay for separately at that time, with no hard liquor available.) Seating for Saturday dinner at GML is between 6:30 PM and 7:30 PM. Best to ideally arrive by 6:30 PM.
IMPORTANT REGARDING DINNER CANCELLATIONS: Any changes in the number of people or cancellations, LCR-DC must know NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7th, 2018, in order to provide GML an accurate accounting of the number of people attending dinner. Otherwise GML does not refund for no shows or cancellations less than 5 days before.
Graves Mountain Lodge
Syria, VA 22743
ESSENTIAL ITEMS TO BRING ON HIKE:
- Proper apparel, but especially stable/durable footwear ideally offering ankle support, and other proper clothing depending upon temperatures. (Temperatures in the mountains can be cooler than below.)
- A light backpack for your lunch, snacks, and water.
- Plenty of water, -- at least a quart per hour per the above map link as recommended by the NPS.
- Bag lunch and snacks.
- Though not essential, consider bringing a hiking stick/pole to aid with balance and stability.
- See above NPS link for more information.
- Cash for $15.00 park entrance fee.
- $15 park entrance fee must be paid in person in cash
- If you're joining us for dinner at Graves Mountain Lodge it required a pre-payment of $40 below
- For any questions please contact Greg Culbertson at firstname.lastname@example.org
See you there!